Open to Everyone
In 1920, Robert Burns Lodge No. 464, Harrisburg, contributed funds for the planting of 268 oak trees on the Masonic Village at Elizabethtown campus, as a living representation of the Masons who died serving our country during World War I. Additions were made to the memorial over the years as a tribute to those brethren for their supreme sacrifice.
With the turning of the 21st century, part of the Masonic Village’s 20-year vision plan included updating and enhancing our Memorial Grove into the renamed Veterans Grove as an essential priority.
The renovations to the monument encourage reflection of wars past and the continuing potential for peace and freedom. The Veterans Grove was restored to its original splendor with the planting of 123 oak trees to bring the number back to the original 268. The stone pathway leading up to the monument displays the various conflicts our nation fought, beginning with the Revolutionary War through current conflicts. The entrance proclaims the inspirational words of those who have led our country during times of unrest, beginning with Thomas Jefferson’s bold declaration: “Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.” The central focus is on the Word of God, upon which our country was founded.
The walking paths, picnic area and restroom facilities are provided for family and friends to take time to remember, honor and pray for those currently serving in our Armed Forces and pay respect to all veterans, especially those who have given the ultimate sacrifice to preserve the freedom we enjoy each day.
The Eternal Flame monument was dedicated in 2014 in tribute to all military and veterans. It is inscribed with the words “All Gave Some – Some Gave All.” Pavers surrounding the monument are engraved with names of those who have served or are serving as designated by loved ones who have purchased them to support the construction and maintenance of the monument.
Public recreation services are offered at the Masonic Village at Elizabethtown. Masonic Village facilities are open to the public (at their own risk.) The Masonic Village is not liable for any lost or stolen property, injury or other harm caused by the public’s use of its facilities.
Phone: 717-367-1121, ext. 33151
Permission is required to utilize Masonic Villages’ facilities for photo or video shoots, recordings, special events, gatherings or group activities. Please contact the Event Planning Department, utilizing the information above, for assistance and scheduling.
The Formal Gardens
The formal gardens comprise 6 1/2 acres featuring more than 52 varieties of evergreen trees, dozens of varieties of ornamental shrubs and constantly changing displays of annual & perennial flowers. Magnificent water features include a 40 x 76 ft. reflecting pond and a newly renovated fountain that leads to a cascading waterfall at the lower end of the gardens. The waterfalls were renovated in 2013-2014.. Several other upgrades are scheduled for the gardens in the upcoming years that will complete a 10-phase restoration project started in 2009. Pergolas with climbing roses, tables, benches and walking paths invite visitors to enjoy the pristinely-maintained gardens. Constructed during 1930-1933 as a beautiful and peaceful getaway, the formal gardens won the Pennsylvania Horticulture Society’s Distinguished Garden Award in 1970.